Friday 4 October 2019

Ghost trams ....... on seeing tram 1001 again

Now those who travel regularly on the East Didsbury and Airport lines will be familiar with the big tram depot between Firswood and Trafford Bar.

Here can be found a little bit of our Metrolink history,

Parked up,  sitting quietly, minding their own business, can be seen those blue trams, which ran the rails in the early days.

I have to say I prefer the new ones but then I have always liked the colour yellow.

But yesterday Andy Robertson that photographer of all things to do with changing Manchester and Salford sent me these two pictures with the caption “1001, the very first tram, pictured here at Old Trafford awaiting its fate”,adding  that “when I worked in The Abraham Moss in Crumpsall in 1992 the window by my desk on the third floor looked directly out on the tram line, and I saw the first trams being tested on the Bury route. 


I did a rewind back to my youth and jotted down the numbers. I spotted all 1001 to 1026 apart from 1013 which I later learned was permanently in the depot and therefore not spot-able. 

These sittings were well before The Abraham Moss tram stop was built”.

Location, a depot near you

Pictures; tram 101 and friends, 2017 from the collection of Andy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment