Tuesday 15 October 2019

On Stockport Road …………. Looking for clues

Now I don’t as a rule do then and now stories, but I am intrigued by these picture postcards of Stockport Road in Levenshulme.

I can’t exactly date either.

In the case of the first I know we are sometime between the 1950s and 60s but the post mark is obscure, and all I can be sure of, is that it was sent in the summer to Mr. Hayes who was in a caravan in Wales.

The card was from his mum by his mum who thank him for his picture postcard, “which arrived this morning”, went on to ask if he was enjoying himself, and if he had met anyone he knew and concluded with “S& D are still beautifying.  Auntie Alice has been here for her tea”.

The older one was addressed to someone in Longsight, but was never sent, although there is a comment written on the reverse “Showing the Pack Horse Hotel before it was rebuilt”.

At which point I am confident someone will come forward with a set of answers.

Location; Stockport Road, Levenshulme

Pictures; Stockport Road, Levenshulme, dates unknown, from the collection of David Harrop

2 comments:

  1. A rough and dirty search suggests a date just prior to WWII for the first picture and the second one a little more precisely between 1901, when trams started to run to Levenshulme and 1907 when the Packhorse was rebuilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a bit more consideration I'd change my estimate for the first picture to early to mid 50s. I either didn't spot or ignored the bus in the background being more engrossed on when Williams and Deacons changed names.

    ReplyDelete