Tuesday 15 October 2019

In Levenshulme with a now lost historic pub

Now, this image of the Midway Hotel has sat in the collection for ages, so long in fact that I had forgotten I had it.

But as you do, as part of a “spring clean” I revisited the Levenshulme picture postcards and decided this was a must to show.

I think I once drank in the pub, but it will haven a long time ago, and never knew its history.

But with the help of that excellent site, Pubs of Manchester, I can now say that, “The Midway was rebuilt in 1904 as this imposing pub at the junction of Matthews Lane and Stockport Road in Levenshulme.  

The original Midway dates back an impressive 300 years earlier, first licensed in 1604. 

 Sadly, the Midway has closed and has been taken over by an obscure college having been a cash & carry at some point previously.  The pub may have had an Irish name in the 1990s but I'm not sure”.*

And that just leaves me to comment on the message on the back which reads, "I heard you wanted this", which was sent to a Miss Greaves of 9 Bristol Avenue, in Levenshulme, and also contained this odd series of numbers, 4 .15. 18. 9. 19., for which I have no explanation.

Location; Levenshulme

Picture; The Midway Hotel before and after its rebuild, circa 1906, from the collection of David Harrop

*Pubs of Manchester, https://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.com/2012/07/midway-stockport-road.html

1 comment:

  1. https://www.facebook.com/groups/767760306586622/permalink/2655193167843317/?hc_location=ufi
    The Midway is in Longsight !

    ReplyDelete