Wednesday 7 December 2022

Lost images of Whalley Range part 5 the cinema and a mystery

Now here is a mystery I haven’t been able to solve.

I am looking at what I thought was an old cinema, long since converted into other uses.

It was on that stretch of Upper Chorlton Road, just before the Whalley Hotel and has gone now but back in 1960 it was the home of Ferodo Ltd and thirteen years later Advance Motor Supplies Ltd.

The building resembles the sort of picture house which began to go up  in the early decades of the last century, and might also have doubled as a variety theatre.

All of which made me assume that was what we had here in an earlier story.

But it is not mentioned in Derek J. Southall’s book on the cinema’s of Manchester* and the local historian Philip Lloyd has no memory of there being a cinema there.

So that is the mystery.

I suspect when I can get access to the street directories for the middle decades of the 20th century I might be to track down its earlier history and get a date for its construction which was sometime after 1911.

So in the meantime if anyone has anything to add I would like to hear from you. And pretty much righy away Chris Geliher, posted "1933 directory has it as Brooks's Bar Billiard Hall Co. Ltd. Andrew".

*The Golden Years of Manchester Picture Houses: Memories of the Silver Screen 1900-1970 by Derek J. Southall and

Pictures; Whalley Range, Upper Chorlton Road, north east side, 1960, A.H.Downes, m40806 and again in 1973, photographer unknown, m40728, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council

5 comments:

  1. I do believe there used to be a cinema on the site of Crystal House apartments on the corner of Withington Rd & Dudley Rd but I have no documents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The building is still there. It is now a builder’s yard.mainly selling timber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are referring to the Imperial on Chorlton Road.

      Delete
  3. Andrew. Could this be the cinema. It wasn’t on Upper Chorlton Road it was on Withington Road near to where Dudley Road intersects?
    http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/33850

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I had often wondered what theat cinema on Withington Road looked like.

      Delete