Friday 30 December 2022

The art of posting things ……………

I suppose given the time of year it was inevitable that these two bits of postal history should surface.


They were posted yesterday by my old posty friend David Harrop, who has a vast collection of memorabilia on all things postal.

So far David has been a tad enigmatic about the two but, we agreed that they possibly date from the 1940s or 1950s.

What ever they date I like them.  

The first reminds me of the commercial art that you could see when I was growing up in the 1950s.

They were bold, bright and confident with a message which was straight forward.

I am sure David will come back with more when the “grey cells” slip into action but for now that is it.

Other than to say while I am fairly sure the first is British I am minded to think the second is either from the United States or perhaps Canada.

We shall see.

And Mr. Harrop did indeed come back with the explanation that these were not two different cards, but the same with the posty post box on the outside and the birthday message inside.  Making it less an advert for the Post Office and more just an inventive birthday card.

Glad that is cleared up.

Location; Mr. Harrop’s collection

Pictures; courtesy of David Harrop, dates unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment