Tuesday 27 December 2022

The lost Eltham & Woolwich pictures ...... no.22 getting a job and remembering a building

For four decades the pictures I took of Eltham and Woolwich in the mid ‘70’s sat undisturbed in our cellar.


But all good things eventually come to light.

They were colour slides which have been transferred electronically.

The quality of the original lighting and the sharpness is sometimes iffy, but they are a record of a lost Eltham and Woolwich.

Now I have fond memories of this place, partly because it was of course the HQ of the Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society and because it was here in the summer of 1972 I presented myself for a job, which I got working in the food warehouse of the RACS by the Thames.

Location; Woolwich

Picture; Woolwich circa 1976, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

4 comments:

  1. So interesting and nostalgia-creating. My dad, Reg Stenning, was the collator at Woolwich Police Station ( 29 Carter Street) until he retired in 1977. I wonder if your/our paths ever crossed. I was Patsy Stenning( now Sweeney) and we lived in the police houses in Middle Park Avenue. At number 16

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patsy. My name is Graham Holmes and I must have crossed paths with your dad, though the name didn't ring a bell. Sorry. In my defense, it was a lot of red wine ago. I was posted to Woolwich in 1969 as a raw recruit straight from Hendon. I was only there for about a year and got moved to Shooters Hill. Lived in Shepherds Leas police married quarters on the corner of Rifield Road and Rochester Way, Eltham.

      Delete
  2. Sadly no Patsy I left for Manchester in 1969

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Grandfather drove the first RACS coach I have a picture of him taking a works outing out about 1921 also a letter of employment for 2/6 a week . My father also a driver out of Woolwhich depot he worked for them from 1936 till 1975 he died 2 months before retirement I have his road safety medals which they issued every year he has them all apart from the war years in which he served in the army I am sure they referred this building as Woolwich Eqitable could be wrong their .any way just a bit of history .

    ReplyDelete