Monday 5 December 2022

On Seedley Road ........ claiming my photos from Mr Greer

Now, I know I am onto a looser, by trying to claim my negatives from Mr Greer of 25 Seedley Road Pendleton.

His trade card proudly announces that “All negatives have been and are preserved from which copies can be obtained at any time in beautiful and Imperishable Enamel”

But here is the rub, Mr Greer’s studio no longer exists, nor can I be quite sure when he was operating as a “Portrait and Landscape Artist”.

His shop is not there in 1911 and I think there will have to be a lot more digging before he comes out of the shadows.

During the late 19th century there were a number of Greer’s listed in the Pendleton area and a John Greer who in 1863 was living at 15 West Albert Street and described himself as a shop assistant.

I will go back to my old friend Oliver who supplied me a selection of trade cards which are on the back of family photographs it may be that there is a date on this one.

In all he has sent over the names of 36 photographs from Salford, Manchester and beyond, which offer up a fascinating glimpse into commercial photographers in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

For now we just have this little glimpse into the world of Pendleton, but I travel in hope, and someone may know more and perhaps will be able to turn up the story of J Greer allowing me to reclaim those negatives.

We shall see.

Location; Pendleton

Picture, trade card, J Greer, date unknown, from the collection of Oliver Bailey

1 comment: