Wednesday 30 November 2022

Lost Images of Whalley Range number 6 ....... the Allied Library 1962

This was the Allied Library which was on the corner of Upper Chorlton Road and Wood Road North.

It had grown as a chain of rental libraries in the years after the last world war and at its peak in March 1962 it hired out 362, 000 books through 1,489 bookshops.

And it is a reminder that a long side the public libraries there were a shed load of small shops ranging from newsagent to bookshops which rented out books.*

Picture; Allied Libraries at No 202 Upper Chorlton Road taken in August 1960 Downes A H m40870 Courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass


10 comments:

  1. Did you know Arthur Downes Andrew? I knew him well when I was a member of Chorlton Camera Club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Gran Grace Simpson used to work at Allied Libraries in the late 50's and I always remember waiting for her up the steps at the arched door. She use to lend me books, every week getting a new one to read (I was 6 - 10 years old at the time). I'm so glad I found this picture and the history behind it. Many thanks indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad Tomas Davies worked at Allied Libraries for many years. As a little girl u used to go to the depot and help him cover and pack books to go out to shops and offices. Unfortunately he passed away in 1963 aged 54. He loved working there.

      Delete
    2. Well you always include your name

      Delete
  3. I have a double sided enamel sign for Allied Libraries. If you look on my Instagram feed @thegaragepress you can’t miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a smashing sign. Would love to use it, but am not in Instagram!

      Delete