Friday 11 February 2022

Easter offers on the railways .............. with the LMS and Mr. Casson

This is Mr. Edwin Casson who worked on the railways.

In the early 20th century he had been at Chorlton-cum-Hardy and near the end of his career worked at one of the big railway stations in the centre of the city.

His great grandson Steve, thinks it might have been Exchanges, which the purists will instantly call me out on and point to the fact that Exchange Railway Station was in Salford.

I wonder however if instead of Exchange we are at Central Station.

Both were operated by the London Midland and Scottish Railway which had come into existence in 1923 as an amalgamation of smaller companies.

And here I readily admit that I am on the frontier of my knowledge of railway companies.

Exchange had been part of the London North Western Railway which became part of the LMS*, while Central Station was home to the Cheshire Line Committee Railway, before it too was absorbed into the LMS..**

So, what convinces me that we are at Central is the sign to the right of Mr. Casson which carries the name Cheshire Lines Railway.

But I might have missed something, and I am sure there will be a flurry of corrections heading my way.

In my defence, I will just point out that Chorlton-cum-Hardy Railway Station was like Central, part of the Cheshire Line Committee, and so it is logical to suppose he moved up the line from the branch station to the main station.  But equally as an employee of the LMS he could have found himself at Exchange.

I can however place the picture sometime between 1923 when the LMS was formed and Mr. Casson’s death in 1939.

And that just leaves me to draw attention to the East offers.

Location; a railway station

Picture; Mr.  Casson at work, circa 1923-1939, from the collection of Steve Casson

*Manchester Exchange Railway Station, Disused Stations, http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/m/manchester_exchange/index.shtml

**Manchester Central Railway Station, Disused Stations, http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/m/manchester_central/index.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment