Sunday 27 February 2022

In praise of Central Ref ……

 It is a place I keep coming back to because it is a place that has been a big part of my life since I first walked through its doors aged 19 in 1969.*


Back then as an undergraduate I used the great Social Science Library with its long tables radiating out from the central hub, under that magnificent dome, with that intriguing echo which allowed you to hear a whispered conversation and amplified a book accidently dropped onto a bench on the other side of the room.


And then forty years later I trawled the archives in the Archives and Local history library, researching my first book.**

And in between I was a regular visitor to the Library Theatre, used the coffee bar as a meeting place, and held the launch another of my books.***

It was closed for four years from 2010-14 but reopened, after much essential maintenance and restoration with an exciting new layout.

So that is it.


Location; Manchester

Pictures, Central Ref, 2019, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

*Central Ref, https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.com/search/label/Central%20Ref

**The Story of Chorlton-cum-hardy, 2012

***Manchester Remembering 1914-18


No comments:

Post a Comment