Thursday 4 March 2021

What they did to Well Hall while I was away ………..

Now I can still vividly remember the moment I discovered that they had done away with Well Hall Railway Station.

It started at Charing Cross when I tried to “buy a single for Well Hall”, and was met with that blank expression which either meant that a] I was from Planet Mars or b] the chap behind the counter had no detailed knowledge of the stations on Southern Region.

As it turned out of course it was I who got it wrong, because in my absence from home for some years, the station had been demolished, a new one built further east and to cap it all a huge busy motorway had consigned the bus terminus to oblivion.

Like all those who have been away for a long time, the loss of both the old Well Hall Railway Station and the bus terminus were a shock, and while it may sound daft, even after thirty five years I have never become reconciled to the new railway station.

I suppose that is like many expats, your memories are frozen in a moment of time, and on the occasions you get to think about home, your mind wanders over the things which you remember most vividly.

In the case of Eltham Well Hall it was that mix of crowded rush hour commutes, and the first site of the woods as the train took the curve and came into the station.

Now, we lived on Well Hall Road just down from those woods, so seeing them in the distance, especially on a warm summer’s day was perfect.

So that is it, ……. wistful, nostalgic rant over, leaving me just to thank Paul Watts who posted these three images on another Facebook site, and then gave me permission to use them.*

Simple lessons ……… never leave it too long between trips home, keep an eye on the planning applications, and above all try to remember that they are allowed to change things…… even if the changes mess with your memories.

Location; Well Hall

Pictures; Well Hall, circa 1984-1985 from the collection of Paul Watts

*I’M FROM SOUTH EAST LONDON

No comments:

Post a Comment