Monday 14 March 2022

Dodging the cars on Market Street ............. 1969

Now as much as I like those old photographs of the city which date from the turn of the last century, I am more a fan of those which were taken more recently.

This is Market Street in 1969, before the Arndale and before the introduction of pedestrianization.

I should remember the scene, but I have to say I don’t.

And that is the thing.

With very old photographs, it is usually very obvious how a place has changed, but with those which are just fifty or sixty years ago, it can be less easy to see the differences, leaving you with just the odd change of shop, the outlandish looking clothes and the equally funny looking cars.

All of which means that more recent pictures of a place date more easily, because unlike a photograph from 1900, the scene looks almost like now but just note quite.

So, here we are on Market Street, just down from Fountain Street and heading towards Sickle Street.

Most of the buildings are the same, although the shop fronts are radically different along with the businesses which operated from them.

For many of us Henty White Jeweller, Norweb Electricity, and Times Furnishings will be strike a chord.

I can still remember standing outside those two fashion shops, waiting to be summoned in to approve a dress, pair of shoes or skirt.

And I still have a fondness for the old Bus signs.

Location; Market Street, 1969

Pictures, Market Street, 1969, 1175, 1174, "Courtesy of Manchester Archives+ Town Hall Photographers' Collection", https://www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterarchiveplus/albums/72157684413651581?fbclid=IwAR0t6qAJ0-XOmfUDDqk9DJlgkcNbMlxN38CZUlHeYY4Uc45EsSMmy9C1YCk 

1 comment:

  1. I think my Mum bought me a dress in Werff. I would have been 16 at the time. Memories.

    ReplyDelete