Sunday 30 August 2020

Of ice cream ….. a van ….. and Cadelforte, Caserta in Campania

The fun and the history as they say are in the detail.

Unknown street scene, 1963
So, the story began with this ice cream van and the house, but as stories do it had a life of its own and went off in the most unexpected way.

But first to the original story which opened with “I think we are in Miles Platting.  The clue is Mr. Pandolfo’s ice cream van which carries the address of 15 Pearson Street Manchester 9”.

And from there the plan was to explore the gable end, reflecting on the evidence of the bricked-up fireplaces, which belonged to the end terrace, long ago demolished and those garages which inhabited an empty space.

Lost fireplaces, 1963
All of which was going to be an examination of Manchester before the clearance plans swept away the communities that lived in streets like these.

But the Pandolfo family stole the show.

I was curious to know where their home on Pearson Street was located, and after a bit of a search assisted by Andy Robertson the answer was in Miles Platting, off Queens Street.

Back in 1911 number 13, and 15, were home to “Mrs. Charlotte Lund, beer retailer”, but by 1941 they were occupied by the Pandolfo family, who ran a refreshment room from number 13, and made the ice cream next door.

This I know because like many Italian residents, he was interred during the last world war, and the records are available.  His stay in internment on the Isle of Man finished with a decision in the May of 1941 to release him the following month.  The advisory Committees judged that he could be “released without restriction”.

Celebrating Italian culture, 1911
The records also show that he at first been released in March 1941, “temporary for month”, readmitted in May before his final release in June.

And there the trail takes off in different directions.  Pasquele had been born on October 25th in 1892 and had been born in Cadelforte, Caserta in Campania.  His parents were Carlo and Filomenia and he had a sister, Paqsualina who was two years younger.

Traditional Italian dancing through Didsbury, 1911
I can’t as yet track them before 1911, but in that year, they appear on the census living at 51 Clarendon Street in Chorlton on Medlock.

Mr. Pandolfo, described himself as working in the confectionary business and his two children were employed as an “ice cream merchant” and “assistant in the business”.*

It should be possible to follow the family across the city using the directories and locate exactly when they moved into Pearson Street.

I know they are there by 1939, and amongst the residents is a Michael Di Cocco, born in 1870, and working as a “Biscuit maker”,  Winifred Jones who was just 19 and a “waterproof machinist”.

But the records also offer up three other people whose details have been redacted.

Mr. Pandolofo's ice cream van, 1963
It maybe that one of these is Tony Pandolfo whose name appears on the van.  That said there is another Anthony who was born in1951, married in 1969 but from another family.

So, the jury is out, leaving me to record that Pasquale died in 1952, leaving everything to his third wife, and his daughter who died in 1949.

At which point I could spin off into the story of Little Italy, the Italian community and ice cream making, but that has been covered by Anthony Rea, and I make it a golden rule not to trespass on the work of others, who will have done it better.**

All of which with Tony’s van brings us back to that unnamed street in 1963, which I suspect was long ago demolished, along with those garages which are stories for another time.

Location; unknown

Picture; unknown Manchester street, 1963, "Courtesy of Manchester Archives+ Town Hall Photographers' Collection",
https://www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterarchiveplus/albums/72157684413651581?fbclid=IwAR35NR9v6lzJfkiSsHgHdQyL2CCuQUHuCuVr8xnd403q534MNgY5g1nAZfY

*1911 Census Enu 35, 616, Chorlton on Medlock, South Manchester.

**Ancoats Little Italy, http://www.ancoatslittleitaly.com/index.html



4 comments:

  1. Phillip Pandolfo7 October 2020 at 19:53

    This is a photo I've not seen before but I can fill in some of the gaps. Pasquale was my grandfather although he died the year before I was born and so I never knew him. The business passed to his oldest son Tony hence the name on the van and then to his sons Young Tony and Peter. As a lad I visited the Pearson St dairy many times with my dad, Louis, who was Tony's younger brother. What I can say for sure is that the picture is not of the Pearson St that I remember but whether it was nearby I can't say. By strange coincidence we think that my grandfather may have bought the shop from my wife's grandfather who had several barber shops. Thank you for carrying out this fascinating research which is of great interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Bednal street in front of Pearson street, I knew Winnie Jones and her family. My older sister used to go to the shop and sometimes turn the handle of the ice cream machine.

      Delete
  2. Winifred was my great grandmother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a young child I knew the Pandolfos, Winnie Jones lived in my Street Bednal street,. Tony and Louis eventually had their own vans, but I remember the cart, of course they became very successful. My older sister who was Italian looking, once walked in the Whitsun walks with the family. Jean

      Delete