Wednesday 19 August 2020

In the Albert in Didsbury ............... once a long time ago

Now, there will be those who mutter that if you can remember the Albert in Didsbury you are either an old resident of Didsbury or just old.

Now I hasten to add that my friend Andy Robertson is neither, but he first went into the pub “on January 8, 1972” which is very impressive because I couldn’t tell you when I first went in, although I have to admit it will have been a bit more than a decade later.

It is now of course the Fletcher Moss, and is a pub I do visit occasionally.

After his first visit in perhaps 40 years, Andy observed it has “been extensively enlarged since my first visit but that small room remains much the same except there used to be a dartboard where the mirror now is. 

I guess the last time I went here was late 1970s”.

And I do confess that when I first walked in through the door a couple of years back, I failed to recognise the place, and it took me a few visits before I realised that this was indeed where I have gone for late night drinks after work.

In my case what threw me, was the large extension on the back and the disappearance of  two of the small rooms.

Of course those who want to be unkind might assert it had more to do with the amount I have drunk, which is an assertion I can only deny.

On a serious note, given the number of pubs that have vanished over the last few years, it is good to see the Fletcher Moss is thriving.

Location; Didsbury




Picture; The Fletcher Moss, 2018, from the collection of Andy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment