Thursday 13 August 2020

Will there still be custard tarts when the Dough House opens on Beech Road?

The closure of the historic bakery on Beech Road passed me by.

The Bakery, 2020
But then the lockdown during March and April presented few opportunities to go out, even on to Beech Road.

And when I did, the shop like others was firmly closed, which I just assumed would be a temporary affair, and even when its windows were obscured I assumed it was going through a makeover.

But not so.

Today I noticed one of those official notices  outside the shop announcing a change of name and an application for “licensable activities to be carried out at the premises …. For the retail sale of alcohol on and off the premises, Monday to Sunday, 09:00 until 00:00”, under the name of the Dough House.

And I wonder if that is an end to the  history of bread and cake making on this site stretching back to the beginning of the last century, which along the way included the business of J.B. Richardson, who opened in 1947.*

The notice, 2020
I only began shopping there in 1976, but over the years I was a regular customer.

It was a popular shop and I got to know many of the staff including Kay who always asked after my lads.

I remember it as the Beech Tree Bakery and Café, back in the 1970s, and later still as the Bakery, watched as part of it was hived off as a separate shop, and the redesign which brought the two premises of 93 and 95 back as one.

Once Beech Road, boasted several bakeries, as well as three butcher’s shops, Richard and Muriel’s, along with grocery stores, and fresh fish shops.

Now, only Ludo’s offers freshly baked bread.

In the meantime remember Kiss My Feet, which occupied no. 93, along with the staff who made and served me Richardson’s confectionery over the years.

J.B. Richardson, 2016
So I shall close with more pictures of which the shop fronts are of Richardson's and Kiss My Feet, date from December 2016.

And ponder on whether The Dough House will make its own bread and cakes to go with its alcoholic offerings.

Good night, and thanks for all the custard tarts.







Kiss My Feet, 2016
Location; Beech Road

Pictures; The Bakery, 2020, J.B. Richardson’s, 2016 Kiss My Feet, 2016, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

*J.B.Richardson, http://www.jbrichardson.co.uk/history.html

No comments:

Post a Comment