Monday 11 April 2022

That unusual railway station ....... hidden behind Oxford Road

Now I have a soft spot for Oxford Road Railway  Station and like plenty of others I have taken more than a few pictures of that reflection of the Refuge Building.

I can’t remember exactly when or why I was there but I managed to get the photograph on one of those quiet moments.

The original station dates from 1849 and in 1960  was replaced by this one which was listed in 1995 and described by English Heritage as a "building of outstanding architectural quality and technological interest; one of the most dramatic stations in England.”

I do have to agree with them.  

Its glass and laminated wood entrance soars into the sky and on a sunny evening the reflection of the Refuge Building is captured in those high windows.


Now its predecessor was a much more modest affair.  It too was made of wood but was workman like and lacked style and presence.


Of the two I prefer the present railway station which is always busy, so trying to catch a picture without including people is always a tad difficult.

But then that is one of the reasons I like the place.

Location; Oxford Road Railway Station

Pictures; Oxford Road Railway Station, 2008, 2022, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment