Friday 8 April 2022

When in Rome Part 4

Now we had gone looking for that floating dance floor, the one Gregory Peck took Audrey Hepburn to in Roman Holiday.

I was determined to find it having just seen another Italian movie with an equally implausible plot which featured the same floating dance floor.

And I guess it appeared in plenty more light comedy films made about life in Rome in the 50s.

I was convinced it was near the Ponte Sant’Angelo and was all for walking back and forth beside the Tiber till I located its remains.  But it was a hot day and we had already done the Vatican so we settled for a meal in a small restaurant close to the river.

I have tried finding it again but with no luck but it was just what we wanted situated by a small park.  I had mushrooms and pasta and Tina I think had seafood after which we gave up on the dance floor.


I didn’t mind. The following day we stumbled in to the Campo de’ Fiori, a wonderful mix of market stalls young men and women posing next to motor bikes and policemen.

We were assured that the evening was the best time to see the place when it became a lively meeting place for young Romans.

But we had a date with another restaurant on the Via Castelfidardo and so we left the square to the young.

I rather think we had the better night,

Location; Rome

Pictures; Ponte Sant’Angelo and the Campo de’ Fiori, 2010, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment