Tuesday 22 November 2022

Horses on Beech Road …….

I wonder just when this building was converted into residential use.


In the late 19th century, it turns up on the Rate Books as two stables and remained so in 1900 when numbers 56 and 60 Beech Road are listed as “House, shop and stables”.

Nor does it appear that anyone was living there when the 1921 census was taken.

After which there is one of those historical hiccups which are as fascinating as they are challenging, because in 1939 the numbering of Acres Road includes a number 69, which is not there in 1921, when the previous final two houses are numbered 63 and 65.

My friend Tony checked his street directories and confirm that the stables had not begun their residential change of use in 1962.

I do have vague memories of work being done on the property in the late 1970s, but someone will have a better memory than me.

In the meantime, I will go and ask my friend  Andy who holds a copy of the last directory to be published which was in 1969. 

So, watch this space.

And yes it's the same picture ......... so good I took it twice.

Location; Chorlton

Location; Chorlton shapes, 2022, from the collection of Andrew Simpson


No comments:

Post a Comment