Saturday 19 November 2022

The blog does Christmas ……… no.1

It was the Monday after the Sunday of Remembrance Day.

2022
The Christmas Markets were beginning to open and attract the early afternoon customers, and I was in Exchange Square.

Leaving me just to reflect on past Christmases’. 

Lazy history I know but the sort of stuff you can tell a friend or use in a pub quiz.

And for the curious I chose 1940 because this was the second year of the war, and Christmas was very different.

While 1969 was my first year in Manchester, but by December 24th I was back in London, having taken the train and not a plane.

1940
Location; Manchester, 2022, 1940, and 1969








Pictures, the Arndale at Christmas, 2022, from the collection of Andrew Simpson, Evacuated Children Manchester’s Christmas Grant, 1940,  and Ringway Christmas Traffic,1969, courtesy of Manchester Libraries & The Guardian


1969

*Evacuated Children Manchester’s Christmas Grant, Manchester Guardian, December 12th, 1940, and Ringway Christmas Traffic, The Guardian, December 24th, 1969

No comments:

Post a Comment