Monday 19 September 2016

Number 9 Swan Street .............. the one I know nothing about

Now I know there is a story here but I just don’t know what it is.



We were out on Swan Street following the line of pubs from the Crown and Kettle down to the Smithfield and there on the corner with Tib Street was this building.

Peter thought there was something about its history but couldn’t remember and I have to confess I had never  clocked the place.

So while Peter went off to paint it I went looking for any reference to it, and I have drawn a blank.

It doesn’t feature in Clare Hartwell’s guide to all things Manchester and a search on the net proved fruitless as did a trawl of the images in the Manchester Local Images Collection.

I know that in 1911 the site was occupied by A & G Tuthill, who dealt in photographic material while next door was Dunkerley & Franks “umbrella and etc manufacturers” but have yet to work out whetherthis was their building.

But I don’t think so if only because Goad’s Fire Insurance maps dating from the same period shows a building which doesn’t quite fit Peter’s painting.

Of course I might be wrong.  The good news is that I bet someone will be able to tell me.

Well I hope so.

Location; Manchester

Painting; 7-9 Swan Street, © 2016 Peter Topping, Paintings from Pictures
Web: www.paintingsfrompictures.co.uk

*Manchester, Clare Hartwell, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment