Thursday 4 May 2023

Hidden gems along the Via Roma

Now I have got to know the Via Roma well.

It begins as a narrow street leading off the Via Pallanza by the side of the lake and runs out to a broad road that takes you out of Mergozzo and onto the autostrada.

The first part of that street is typical old Italian with tall buildings which have a faded charm and amongst these, set a little back from the road is the tiny church of St Martha.

It dates from the 12th century and was originally dedicated to Saint Quirico and Julitta who were martyred in 304 in Tarsus.

Later the church was given to the brothers of St Martha, “with the task of giving shelter to wayfarers”.*

During its restoration in 1932, a fresco of Saint Martha along with the Brotherhood was uncovered.

Had I known that I might well have gone in on the Saturday and Sunday that the doors were open, but
I was busy and reasoned there would be plenty of opportunities to call in, which of course I never did.

And that was a shame, because such churches offer up plenty that is fascinating and a contrast to the churches in Britain.

If I am honest I think I was also a little wary of visiting a place of worship, just to take a few pictures.

All of which was my loss.

But Mergozzo is only an hour away from Varese, so we may nip back one weekend, and it may just be that the Babilonia Diner which is next door will finally open its doors.

In all the time we were there it remained closed, which was a shame.

But then there are plenty of restaurants along the Via Pallanza and an interesting bar jus up from the church frequented by the locals.

So, I suppose if Babilonia, remains closed, I can always fall back on the bar until the church reopens.

Location; Mergozzo








Pictures; along the Via Roma in Mergozzo, 2018, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

*Notes from the notice board outside the church

No comments:

Post a Comment