Wednesday 20 September 2023

When cars still took pride of place in St Ann’s Square

Now, this I remember.

We are in St Ann’s Square in 1950, and despite the cars parked and the traffic passing through, I like this St Ann’s Square.

Of course, the present pedestrianized space is safer and offers up a better place for those who want to sit and just relax with friends on a warm summer’s day.

But for anyone interested in the past it is well worth a closer look.

First there are the cars, which are a wonderful mix of the stately and run of the mill and span the decades back into the prewar.

And then there are the buildings, and in particular, the shops, all of which I suspect long ago went out of business.

During the next week I will be trawling the directories to see which were in the Square at the beginning of the last century and how many of them survived into the late 1960s.

And because this is 1950, I wonder what was happening to the building at the far end. 

The front is missing and its neigbour which stands on the corner looks damaged and is missing the top floor.

I suppose they might be the result of bomb damage which will lead me off on a hunt of the bomb maps.

All of which just leaves me to pass that obvious comment about the soot darkened buildings most of which would have to wait a full twenty years before the clean up revealed just how magnificent they were.

Location; Manchester

Picture; St Ann’s Square, 1950, from a series of picture postcards by Tuck and Son, courtesy of Tuck DB, https://tuckdb.org/




6 comments:

  1. Joseph Cockshoot sop premises. Also Rolls Royce dealer with showroom near Strangeways? Now selling light fittings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry Barrie outfitters well established and thriving. Provider of school uniforms to many and the Harry Worth experience to even more! When did it demise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry Barrie outfitters well established and thriving. Provider of school uniforms to many and the Harry Worth experience to even more! When did it demise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hector Powes tailors was Harry Worths tailor

      Delete
  4. I have badge the metal one what did it cost, was it £7

    ReplyDelete
  5. In 1957 I was employed as the Receptionist in Cockshoots Ducie Street main Showroom. It was the first time they had had a female receptionist and the four salesmen apparently were told not to talk to me. However men being men and I was only 19 within a year I ended up married to one of them!

    ReplyDelete