Saturday 23 September 2023

Fifty-five years ago on Hardy Lane

Now I fully accept that many people will not find anything very remarkable about this scene.

The picture was taken in the November of 1966 from the junction of Hardy Lane and ahead of us is Barlow Moor Road, with Chorlton Park School and away in the distance the park itself.

But for anyone who grew up around here I think the image will be a little special evoking half forgotten memories of going to school and playing in the park in the mid 1960s.

Added to which they will be able to reel off the shops on our left, starting with Seymour Meads, and taking in the barber’s and the sweet shop.

And despite our youngest going to Chorlton Park my knowledge of its history is woefully poor, but someone will help me out.

I am however on stronger ground with the park which was only forty of so years old when the picture was taken.

And that is all I have to say other than a thank you to Neil and the team and to comment that I used to think those half timbered cars were the bees knees.



And that is all I have to say other than a thank you to Neil and the team and to comment that I used to think those half timbered cars were the bees knees.

It is there parked up outside Seymour Meads.

Location; Chorlton






Picture; Barlow Moor Road, 1966, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass


4 comments:

  1. Half-timbered cars... Dame Edna Everage!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Parker's cake shop and Youd's newsagents who also had a shop on Cundiff Road

    ReplyDelete
  3. That could have been my partners fathers car, they lived in the detatched house opposite to the crematorium.

    ReplyDelete