Monday 25 September 2023

Send three and four pence we’re going to a dance ……. the Chorlton Walk apology

There will be many who remember those silly two lines, “Send reinforcements we are going to advance”, which became garbled to “Send three and four pence we’re going to a dance”.

They have come to stand for any one of a heap of mistakes where a message undergoes a transformation as it passed from word of mouth down the chain of command.

And so, it was yesterday at the Chorlton Get Together Day.

I had said the walk was starting from Benito’s on Wilbraham Road at 2 pm and said so on the blog and then managed to tell the organizers 2.30 while still thinking it was 2.00 pm.


So apologies for all those who were looking forward to it, stood around and called me out for being fickle and untrustworthy, which on this occassion I was.

And a very big apology to Collette Crosdale who invited me to do the talk and who I managed to confuse with the timings. 

Nor is that all because when the story was posted yesterday I was still confused as to how the timing had changed and the story line left open who was to blame.  I now know it was my fault so I hope Colette won't cross me off her Christmas card list.

Lucky l don’t go to many dances.

Still there was one successful recipient who walked the walk with me and got the talk.

And Andy Robertson and his friend Mark who got two minutes at the end.

Still the day was not just about me, and despite the rain lots of people came out to walk Wilbraham Road and meet up, swap literature from the stalls and sit and watch the day go by.

And in the case of Cllr Hacking help ensure no rubbish was left on the road.

Leaving me just to thank the organisers.

Location; Wilbraham Road, Chorlton Get Together

Pictures. The things on the day that did work, 2023, from the collection of Andrew Simpson





1 comment: