Tuesday 18 January 2022

Of lifeboats and shingle .............

This will I think be the last of the short series on Deal.

I say that but I have every expectation that our Elizabeth and Colin who live just outside the town, will be back with their camera, and soon I shall have more pictures to write about.

But for now, it’s the Walmer Lifeboat which sits in its 1870s building looking out from the shoreline.

The lifeboat station was established in 1830 and apart from a short break between 1912-1927, it had ben saving those in peril o the sea for one hundred and eighty-nine years.

During that time there have been stories of saved seamen and awards for the teams that risk their lives to save others.

And that just leaves me with the shot of the beach.

I am prepared to be corrected but the picture shows that broad expanse of shingle, which unlike sand is not as nice to sit on.

Location; Deal

Pictures, Deal, 2019, from the collection of Elizabeth and Colin Fitzpatrick

No comments:

Post a Comment