Monday 17 January 2022

The tank, …….. a piece of porcelain …. and the auction house

Now, I don’t pretend to be an expert on military history and certainly not the development of the tank during the Great War.

A Mark 1 tank, 1916
But my Wikipedia tells me that the first tank to go into combat with the British army was the “The Mark I, [which] entered service in August 1916, and was first used in action on the morning of 15 September 1916 during the Battle of Flers-Courcelette, part of the Somme Offensive”

And no doubt soon after the battle this small piece of porcelain rolled off the production lines and arrived in shops across the country to be snapped up.

I have long been fascinated at the swift way porcelain companies made the transition from making figures of Blackpool Tower, Anne Hathaway’s Cottage and heaps of other “tourist memorabilia, into war time models of tanks, ambulances, planes, and ships.

"The British Tank" circa 1916
And to guarantee sales the companies added a transfer with the name and sometimes the coat of arms of the places where the pieces were marketed.

What is also remarkable is the way so many of them have survived and survived in very good condition.

This one was acquired by my old “posty” friend David Harrop who tells me it comes from Capes Dunn, who are “an established fine art auctioneer, [who have] operated in The North West and Lancashire since 1826, providing auctions and valuations for private and professional clients”

City of Carlisle, circa 1916
David added that they were based on Charles Street off Oxford Road, and I rather think there is another story here.

But for now I shall leave it at that, reflecting that stories of the Great War come in many different forms, and wonder on just why the tank carried the name Creme-De- Menthe.

I suspect we might be dealing with an adverting promotion.

We shall see.

Answers  on the back of a beer mat or any other suitable alcoholic connected piece of memorabilia.

Location; the Great War


Pictures; ceramic Mark 1 tank, circa 1916, from the collection of David Harrop, and An early model British Mark I "male" tank, named C-15, near Thiepval, 25 September 1916. The tank is probably in reserve for the Battle of Thiepval Ridge which began on 26 September. The tank is fitted with the wire "grenade shield" and steering tail, both features discarded in the next models, courtesy of the Imperial War Museum

*British heavy tanks of World War I, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_heavy_tanks_of_World_War_I

**Capes Dunn, https://www.capesdunn.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment