Monday 3 January 2022

A set of tiles and a bit of a mystery …… the scrubland near Cornbrook

It may just seem a set of quarry tiles, soon to be lost to an industrial skip, but once they graced the entrance to a building and would have been seen by workers, customers and of course the owner.


Sadly, I don’t have any more information and I doubt I will ever track down the owner, exact location or the purpose of the building.

According to Andy Robertson who took the picture it is on that stretch of scrubland which inhabits the derelict spot between the canal and the tram track, close to Cornbrook.

Andy tells me it is being “tidied up” so I am guessing it will soon be home to builders, cranes and diggers working to a developers plan.

Well we shall see.


For now it is just a bit of our lost industrial past.

Location; near Cornbrook





Picture; a set of tiles and a bit of a mystery, 2021, from the collection of Andy Robertson


1 comment:

  1. There is only one building I can see on maps that's been so close to the canal. It is a substantial building with extensive gardens. Perhaps the home of the nearby chemical works owner?

    ReplyDelete