Saturday 27 January 2024

The Southern Hotel and the fields to the south of Mauldeth Road West from the air, 1933

An occasional series dedicated to looking down at Chorlton from the air. Here is the Southern Hotel in 1933.

Despite the presence of fields and barns, the development of Corporation housing hints at the urban spread to come.

Location; Chorlton

Picture; aerial view of the fields around the Southern Hotel on Mauldeth Road West, by N. S. Robert, 1933 m72051, Courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

5 comments:

  1. Remember The Southern Hotel in 60's when the landlord was Eric Littler. I used to pick my Dad up from there on a Sunday lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My local from 77/82 , great pub back then full of Charactors
    ( Tommy Pearson ) nuff said

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister had her 21st at the Southern and I had my wedding reception there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can nearly see my house on weller av

    ReplyDelete