Monday 8 January 2024

In Albert Square with the unusual ..........

Now for anyone born before 1970 there will be nothing odd about a bus stop in Albert Square, or the parked up black cabs.

Equally the presence of two underground public lavatories either side of Albert will be no surprise.

That was just what the square was like, pretty much from its construction to sometime in the 1980s or '90s, when the public lavatories, the taxi rank and the bus stops disappeared.

And like so much modern history I can’t remember exactly when it all happened.

Of course the serious side of me knows that I should go off and find out but I bet someone will know and come back with chapter and verse which is always more fun.

Added to which they, or some else, will also be able to explain what happened to the two public lavatories.

Were the fittings carefully and lovingly taken out, and perhaps placed elsewhere or was the void just back filled?

And if it is the latter that raises fascinating thoughts about the discoveries and theories put forward in future archaeological papers on the “Role and significance of underground public services”.

Still for now, I can’t say I miss the bus stops and take pleasure in just sitting in the square, admiring the Town Hall, and pondering on the plight of those underground public lavatories.

Leaving me only to admit that there is still a taxi rank in the Square and the buses still stop but not not directly outside the Town Hall.

Location; Manchester

Pictures; Albert Square, 1978, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

5 comments:

  1. I cannot remember whether the buses used to go to Chorlton from there Andrew. But remember the bus stop and the taxi rank. I used to work around the corner from the Square in a Solicitors office. J.A. Naylor was the name of the firm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those toilets! I’m also wondering why they sealed them up!
    I remember also the bus stops ; think we used to get the number 81 up to Hightown ! Long ago for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last remaining underground Victorian lavatory at 100 Great Bridgwater Street became The Temple bar & restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 62 bus from Chorltonville had a stop in Albert Square, near the entrance to Brazennose Street, with another just outside the Town Hall fir the return journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zooming in, I can see the 166 bus to Eccles stopped right outside the town hall.

    ReplyDelete