Wednesday 28 August 2019

The mystery at Ivygreen ..........

Now I know I am on Ivygreen Road and the date will be around 1980 but exactly where almost defeats me.

So, hence the mystery.

My very first inclination was that I took the pictures at the top end, but that wouldn’t have given me that clear view across to the pumping station.

All of which means that we are at the Bowling Green end, and this is the site of Allan Court.

And that offers up a surprise because it means that the blocks of flats post date my arrival, although I have no recollection of them being built.

But the entrance in the photograph corresponds to what is now the drive into the car park so I am fairly certain where I was on that winter day in 1980.

Added to which other pictures in the batch include views of the rear of the parish churchyard and a shot up St Clements Road to the village green.

So it follows that I was at the bottom of Ivygreen.

At which point there may be those that mutter about a non story, but not so, because both images give a very clear idea of what the meadows once looked like, before the trees and bushes were planted and before they matured to make it impossible to see far away across to the river.

All that we now need, is for someone to describe what had been here on this bit of land beside the road.

I rather think it was a builder’s yard which may have belonged to Joe Scott, and at one time also used by the Walker Brothers who later moved into the barn at Higginbotham’s Farm.

Well we shall see

Location; Chorlton

Picture; Ivygreen Road, 1980, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

3 comments:

  1. That land that the flats are on now was a truck garage and yard, there were big deep pits in the main building for repairing the underneath of the trucks, the building was brick and sturdy but in the yard behind was a barn of sorts made from steel frame. We spent many an hour messing around in there when we were kids before they knocked it down to build Allen Court, where I ended up living for a while! The yards was called Millers from memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would the truck garage be where Chorlton Motor Bodies operated from ? I have a large black and white photo os their Fordson van parked outside. AQ dark, dingy and dirty place, they seemed to specialize in Taxis. Went in there a few times. I'll see if I can find the photo and post a scan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the united services club used to be on site where flats are now because my Dad used to go in there and me to in the 1970's even, in the 1940's used to go to childrens Christmas party every year there

    ReplyDelete