Sunday 21 January 2024

The lost pictures from home ...... no.24 a favourite pub

For four decades the pictures I took of Eltham and Woolwich in the mid ‘70’s sat undisturbed in our cellar.



But all good things eventually come to light.

They were colour slides which have been transferred electronically.


The quality of the original lighting and the sharpness is sometimes iffy, but they are a record of a lost Eltham and Woolwich.

Now I know this is Greenwich and not the other two places, but I was still living in Well Hall when we made this our local.

In the late 60s it was where we would go to sit on the wall and watch the Thames busy itself on warmer summer evenings, listening to the gentle thud as thebarges banged together on the swell.

Later it was where I would finish off the 6 till 2 shift at Glenville's the food factory, caked in dirty overalls covered in milk dust and yearning a pint.

And then I went back in the autumn of 1979.  The pub was still there and the power station and big crane, but my companions had scattered to different corners of London or like me far beyond.

I could have felt melancholy but that would have been daft.

Location; Greenwich

Picture; Greenwich, circa 1979, from the collection of Andrew Simpson




No comments:

Post a Comment