Tuesday 5 December 2023

Ballast Quay and a word of advice

Now just 40 years ago I wandered down Ballast Quay, on the off chance I would bump into someone I knew from the days I worked at Glenvilles, or one of my old drinking companions from the Cutty Sark.

Of course I never did and the failure made me a bit sad.

More so, because we had some good times sitting outside the pub on that low brick wall watching as the night drew on, interrupted only by the sound of the barges banging together from the swell left by a passing pleasure cruiser.

But a swift pint and I felt less sad.

Today I barely recognise the place.

True, the Customs House and row of houses are still there along with the Cutty Sark but the big industrial warehouse on the corner of Pelton Road has gone as has the yard almost opposite the pub.

Perhaps a lesson in it being wise never to go back.

Location; Greenwich

Picture; Ballast Quay, 1979 from the collection of Andrew Simpson

2 comments:

  1. Very sad to see so many changes to what was so familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps others you knew went there hoping to bump into some of the others, but went on a different day to you, and also felt sad.

    ReplyDelete