Thursday 6 February 2020

The ghost sign I lost ….. searching the streets of Varese

Everywhere has ghost signs, which are those signs still visible, long after the business or a product have vanished.

They have been a constant source of fascination for me, and always offer up research possibilities.

And this one is no exception.

We are in Varese, a delightful little town north of Milan.

The sign on the arch advertises the Premier Biscuit Factory, which I am pretty sure went a long time ago.

My problem is that I have lost the arch, or more accurately lost the street it is on.

Now as ever that is a lesson in always writing down where you are.


Judging from the other images, I had made my way along the Corso Giacomo Matteotti, and by degree on to the Via S. Martino Della Battaglia, which is one of those narrow little streets where the buildings climb to the sky.

And somewhere nearby is our sign.

I keep getting possible flashes of just where, but alas I can’t pin it down.

Still someone will, and for now I have added it to the collection.

But I will not be defeated, and in the fullness of time I shall trawl the local records for the story of that factory.

Location; Varese

Pictures; ghost sign, Varese, 2020, from the collection of Balzano

No comments:

Post a Comment