Monday 6 July 2020

A little bit of that Coronation celebrations from 1911 …….…..

This is part of the Coronation procession passing down Wilmslow Road at the corner of King Street on a June day in 1911.

There can be no one from that crowd who is still alive today, and apart from a detailed description of the festivities in in a souvenir book and some press cuttings I doubt I will ever turn up anything else which can tell me more about that day in Didsbury.*

Or so I thought, but Barbarella, in response to my story on the Coronation procession, sent me over a picture of this coronation mug.

Like many such artefacts it turned up in an Oxfam shop, and while there will have been thousands in circulation back in the day, I would be surprised if there are any more knocking around in Didsbury.

It was produced by Grimwades of Stoke on Trent, who are famous for their Royal Winton range of earthenware and fine bone china.  The company was established in 1885 by two brothers, and continued into the 1960s, when it was taken over.

Barbarella’s mug has survived over a century and I suppose is lucky to be in one piece.

The romantic in me would love to know its history, including it line of owners.

I suspect it will have been carefully placed on display for decades, before changing fashions and different owners finally consigned into a charity shop from where it has returned to a place of care and safety.




Location; Didsbury


Pictures; Wimlsow Road, from the Souvenir of the Coronation Festivities Held at Didsbury, June 22nd 1911, Fletcher Moss, and the Coronation mug, 2020, from the collection of Barbarella Bonvento










* the Souvenir of the Coronation Festivities Held at Didsbury, June 22nd 1911, Fletcher Moss



No comments:

Post a Comment