Saturday 25 July 2020

A little bit of our rural history ....the finger post at Ashley

I have been a fan of finger posts for over half a century.


When you are young and wandering the country lanes, they were very reassuring that you could never really get that lost.

Added to which they conjure up that lost rural world.

So, I was so happy when Andy sent me this one which he came across in Ashley in Cheshire.

As he says, “I know finger posts are quite common in rural areas but here is one anyway with the bonus of the local pub”.


I am on a mission at the moment to photograph as many pubs and ex pubs as I can within the region (and beyond). I'm up to 742 so far. I would certainly like to clear Manchester, Trafford, Salford and Stockport”.

And along the way I hope he comes up with more finger posts.

Leaving me just to say that Ashley “is a village and civil parish in Cheshire. At the 2001 census, it had a population of 261. The village is close to the border with Greater Manchester, just to the south of the M56 motorway and Manchester Airport. Neighbouring villages include Hale, Rostherne and Mobberley. There is a public house, The Greyhound Inn".*

To which I might add they have looked after their finger post.

Location; Ashley, 2020, from the collection of Andy Robertson

*Ashley, Cheshire, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley,_Cheshire

No comments:

Post a Comment