Sunday 26 July 2020

The 1950s are back ………..at Southport ….. one to do

Now anyone who reads the blog will know that I regularly feature the Eagle which was my chosen comic when I was growing up.*

And not to shortchange its companion comics, there are stories about Girl, Robin and Swift, which together took the art and style of comics to a new level.

So, I was much pleased to hear that the Eagle Exhibition at The Atkinson Art Gallery in Southport which was originally planned to open in April but was postponed during the lockdown is back on.**

The Atkinson has reopened, and the Eagle exhibition will now run for a shortened period from 27th July until 5th September.

Slots have to be booked, a one-way system is in place, but there should be sufficient time for all those wishing to attend to do so.

Now that is grand news.

The Eagle was a new type of British comic, which was produced to a high standard, had some excellent stories with the most wonderful illustrations.

And each week presented us with a cutaway diagram in full colour of everything from an ocean-going liner to a London bus.

It was so successful that within a short period of its launch on April 16th, 1950, it was followed by its three companions, Girl, Swift and Robin, all of which maintained the same quality, and mix of stories, fine illustrations, and informative articles.

And this year it celebrates its 70th anniversary, which is bittersweet, given that I too have passed that into that momentous point in time.

To be accurate I got there a few months earlier and I would not discover my copy of Eagle until 1958, but once discovered I was a fan, continuing to read the comic each week, until sometime in 1963, when I reached that age when I put away childish things, embraced the idea of dates, music and fashion.

But I never quite lost my love of the Eagle and would find myself wishing I had kept my back copies, and wishing I could acquire some, which I finally began to do, buying them individually and then by volume, along with the Christmas Annuals, including those from before 1958.

So, with that said I shall just commend you all to the Eagle Exhibition at the Atkinson.

Location; The Atkinson Art Gallery in Southport

Pictures; covers from the continuing story, Terra Nova, The Eagle, May 30, 1959, Vol 10, No 22, and The Red Moon Mystery , Eagle, January 11, 1952, Vol 2 No 40, and poster for Eagle Exhibition, 2020

*The Eagle, https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Eagle

*The Atkinson Art Gallery in Southport, https://www.theatkinson.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment