Wednesday 3 November 2021

Digging deep into the history of Chorlton’s Community Garden

 It is that small plot of land between the Library and the Sedge Lynn and  is owned by Manchester City Council who have  loaned it to The Friends of Chorlton Community Garden. 


And now it has its own facebook site along with a steering group who are actively seeking the views of the local community as to its use.*

I have to confess over the years I have given it only a glance, which is remis of me, especially as I have been invited to join the Friends.

And as you do it got me thinking about the history of this plot.

Before 1914 it was part of Redgate Farm, and after the library was built it seems to have been left as a bit of open ground.

It shows up on both the 1933 and 1956 OS maps as undeveloped and I guess remained so until it became a garden this century.

I suspect it was too small to be developed and even back at the start of the last century was earmarked as a possible site for an extension into the library.

So in the fullness of time I will go into Central Ref with a view to trawl the minutes of various Council Committee meetings to see what they reveal about the plot.

Location; Chorlton

Picture; courtesy of Chorlton Community Garden

* Friends of Chorlton Community Garden



No comments:

Post a Comment