Friday 5 November 2021

The Manchester War Memorial ….. and a bit of silly confusion

I don’t have a date for this picture postcard of the “War Memorial and Midland Hotel Manchester”, but I am guessing it won’t be too long after the memorial was erected.


It was sent over by my old “posty” friend David Harrop who has a huge collection of postal memorabilia, along with an equally impressive collection of “things” from both World Wars.

But something caught my eye in the image to the left of the Cenotaph, and it being a slow day I was drawn to it.

It is of course the eastern pillar which is balanced by its neighbour and together stand either side of the main memorial, but for a few brief moments I was confused, and tried to work out what a tall structure beyond the Midland might be.  


I even pondered if it was some photographic accident, but happily didn’t go down the route speculating what trick was being played on me.

Although I did almost go looking for structures in the space between the Midland and Central Station which dated from the 1920s.

Instead I went away, answered the door and when I came back it was obvious what it was.

So that is it.

Location; St Peter’s Square

Picture; “War Memorial and Midland Hotel Manchester”, date unknown, from the collection of David Harrop



No comments:

Post a Comment