Thursday 4 November 2021

The Chorlton Community Garden ........ which was a first

Yesterday I was musing on Chorlton Community Garden and what the plot of land had once been.

Manchester Road, 1958 and a set of hoardings

As far back as I can remember it was just an open bit land fronted by a variety of wooden fences.

Although Peter remined me that for a while it had been home to a public lavatory ….. one of those swish ones that had an automatic door which opened and closed with a whirr.

Of course, before 1914 it had been part of Redgate Farm, and after the library had been built I guessed it was earmarked as a possible site for an extension of the library.

Aerial view, 1925

And today I went looking for pictures of the site, turning up three from different times during the last century, and all revealed that it appears not to have been developed.

I have started to think what I could suggest which would add to the gardens, but as yet I seem only able to explore its history.



Location; Chorlton


The Library and a small fence, 1916





Pictures; Manchester Road, Chorlton Public Library on right, A H Downes, 1958, m18037, Aerial View, Imperial Aerial Photo Co, 1925, m72044, Chorlton-cum-Hardy Library, City Engineers Department, 1916, m77442, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass



No comments:

Post a Comment