Saturday 16 April 2016

Waiting for tram number 134 to leave for High Town


I never rode on a tram and I doubt that any of the people who read the blog have done so either, which I guess is the attraction of tram stories.

And they are popular, so here from sometime between 1945 and 1946 is tram 134 on the 13 route to High Town.

High Town is in Cheetham Hill and must have made for a long scenic journey taking its passengers north to the city centre and on past Victoria Station.

The caption reads, “What a bogie-tram looked like to the intending passenger as it waits in the beck of the bay for departure time.”

And it is a pretty impressive vehicle.  I reckon it’s both its height and the narrowness of the carriage which gives it that stately look.

But they were noisy and according to my dad rattled and bumped along a bit, which made them less comfortable than the trolley bus.

But then I was always ill on the trolley bus and so would have liked to have experienced Number 134.

Location, Chorlton-cum-Hardy

Picture; from the Lloyd Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment