Tuesday 18 July 2017

Stories from the Great War ............ the Shaw family and their loss of five sons ..... no. 1. Gallopli

Now I always count it a prviledge when I get to share the stories of other people’s families and so I was very pleased that Pam chose to share hers with me.

The article
Just yesterday she contacted me through social media.

“I found your blogs regarding WW1 extremely interesting and I thought you may find this article interesting.  

These five brothers were my Nans brothers.  

We grew up with their memories as part of our lives.  

My grandmother was the loveliest lady and I have so much regard for her as she lived a hard life, she was actually raising her own 8 children when WW1 broke out.  

The youngest my father being born in 1912.  

As mentioned in the article her Mother passed away in 1910, so she was also helping her father with her young brothers.  


From the Kentish Mercury, May 2, 1919
The other interesting fact was that three of the brothers were in the British army and two were Anzacs.   

My Nan bought her family up in Collins Street, Blackheath, along side the rail line, she lived next door to the widow and son of the eldest of the five brothers.   Hope you find the article of interest. Also the significance of 3rd May.   

They also had a younger brother John, too young for service .He lost his only son in WW2, he was a fighter pilot.  Uncle John and his wife Alice had their home bombed in London and were buried under rubble for 3 days.  Aunt Alice lost her sight, Uncle John lost his hearing.  I realise there are so many stories like these.   

The loss in WW1 was unbelievable.  Hope you don't mind me sending this. Regards,  Pam"

Well of course I was over the moon at receiving it and very happy that it could be included in the blog along with extracts from an  article  and the page from the Kentish Times, dated May 2 1919.

Private Jessie Shaw 1915
The article was written by the son of the eldest of the five brothers.

At present his identity and the date the article was written is unknown, but perhaps reprinting this short extract might stir the pot and someone will come forward with a name.

So for now here is that extract. “My grandfather, Thomas Shaw was born T 9 Upper Grange Walk Bermondsey on November 20, 1847 ..... and was married at St John’s Walworth in 1877 to Harriet Bray of 30 East Street.  

She died 1910; mercifully, it can be said with hindsight.

By 1914, of the five sons who were to go on active service, two had emigrated to Australia, a springboard in 1915 for an Australian Expeditionary Force to land on Gallipoli.  

The landing was made on April 25 1915, and Private Jesse Shaw, aged 23 was one of the 13th Battalion of the 4th Brigade who landed .  His grave at Lone Pine Memorial, Gallipoli 39 MR 6 reads that Private Jesse Shaw died of wounds at sea on May 3, 1915."


Next; the story of four more brothers and the full significance of May 3

Location, London Gallipoli

Pictures; from the collection of Pam White Prosser

No comments:

Post a Comment