Monday 6 March 2023

When St Mary’s Hospital in Manchester moved out to Prestbury

I came across David’s story of Collar House in Prestbury and its role in the last world war as an annexe to St Mary’s in Manchester.  He kindly let me reproduce it here.

St Mary's in 1939
Amongst his many activities is the Furness Vale Local History Society and his own blog site, Bricks, both of which are well worth visiting.*

"I was born at St Mary’s Hospital yet my place of birth is recorded as Macclesfield which was where my parents lived at the time.

A little research on the internet has given me some background to the story. 

Faced with the possibility of air raids, the St Mary’s Hospital Board chose to close their City Centre maternity wards. Collar House in Prestbury was owned by the Moseley family who were then living in Wales and in 1939 was rented by the hospital as an annexe. 

This was a large house with extensive grounds. It had its own water and electricity supply as well as a laundry. It was converted to hold 45 beds and had maternity wards and nurseries as well as a theatre, dispensary and accommodation for 30 staff. Nearby Prestbury Hall and Adlington Hall were also to become hospitals. St Mary’s remained at Collar House until 1952 when the maternity wards returned to the City. 

During those 13 years, more than 14000 children were born at the three Prestbury hospitals. Originally a farm, Collar house dates from before 1780 and has been occupied by a number of different families. 


Collar House, date unknown

Collar House, much extended is now occupied by Beaumont Nursing Home.

A book by Mary E. Roberts has been published on the history of Collar House and is available from Waterstones.

The pages of the Manchester Guardian add a little more to the history of this wartime annex of St Mary’s Hospital. The Guardian of 9th December 1939 reported that Collar House had received its first maternity cases that Monday. It was described as a pleasant Cheshire mansion.  

The board of St Mary’s had decided to evacuate cases from a 'dangerous' to a 'safe' location after some deliberation. “Suitable cases” were to be transferred to Prestbury by ambulance leaving more complex cases for treatment at Whitworth Park Hospital.

At the outbreak of war the board appointed Miss D. H. Stuart to Matron-in-Charge. Fifty staff with were initially transferred to Blackpool together with medical equipment. It was soon realised that expectant mothers were unhappy to leave their neighbourhood and the scheme was phased out.


In January 1945, The Guardian reported that the Prestbury Hall Maternity Home had been due to close in a short time. 

The Manchester Public Health Committee, faced with an acute demand for maternity beds had decided that St Mary’s Hospitals should continue running this home for a short time in conjunction with Collar House. 

In March 1946, The Guardian reported that the Public Health Committee had recommended the purchase of Collar House for the sum of £9750. The cost of running the home was £12732 and annual income from patients £4500 leaving a deficit of £8232. The hospital had a capacity for 800 patients a year.

In December 1952 the Ministry of Health had decided to return Collar House to its owner. This would result in a loss of 40 beds. St Mary’s had 82 beds at Whitworth Street and this reduction would threaten its position as a teaching hospital.

In June 1957, a bus crashed in London’s Oxford Street, killing 7 and injuring a further 12. Among the fatalities was Miss Forbes-Graham, matron of Collar House Hospital who was on a week’s leave.  She had worked at St. Mary’s since 1929 and was involved in the evacuation of children from Manchester in 1939.  

She became Sister-in-Charge of Collar House Hospital and continued as Matron when the hospital transferred to the Macclesfield Hospital Group in 1952.


Perhaps that 1946 purchase did not proceed for the 1952 article suggests that it was still being rented, although Collar House remained as a hospital into the 1970’s as part of the Macclesfield Hospital.

I have not seen any reference to any annex of St Mary’s in North Manchester other than the Blackpool episode.  Collar House was used as a convalescent home in the 60’s. I have not as yet found any reference to any other use that Macclesfield Hospital found for the building.

There are several references to Collar House on the internet. One website states categorically that this had been the home of Sir Oswald Mosley, leader of the British Union of Fascists. 

Not very well researched for the Moseley family of Prestbury did not even spell their name in the same way as Sir Oswald."

© David Eastman November 2013

Pictures; St Mary’s Hospital A P Morris, 1939, m53220, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council and Collar Hospital from the collection of David Eastman

*Furness Vale Local History Society, http://furnesshistory.blogspot.co.uk/ & Bricks, http://brickcourse.blogspot.co.uk/

23 comments:

  1. There is a book on the history of Collar House written by Dr. Mary Roberts who was the daughter of the Matron of Collar House. The book was published by Mary herself in 2012 and some copies were available to buy at Collar House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born there in December 1947. I always wondered why there and not nearer my parent home in Crumpsall. Now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was born in Presbury, but not sure which "House", 1952, 4 months before Collar house was returned to its owner. Would love to know more, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was born there in 1948. Not sure how my dad, who lived in Hulme & didn’t drive, got to see me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. T was born there in 1942. Mum was sent out the for safety during the war.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was born there in may1951,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was born there in 1950. Am constantly teased for having been born in 'posh' Prestbury although my parents lived in Ardwick at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too was born there in the September of 1950. I think there was a special bus about twice a week taking visitors to Collar House

      Delete
    2. I was also born there, in June 1950. My father drove my mother there and I was almost born in the car as they got lost in the country lanes on the way. My passport also records Prestbury as place of birth.

      Delete
  8. I was born there in1949 my parents lived in Hulme,Mam said it was a terrible ride to it with the bad weather

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was born there in 1943. My mother was delighted to be there. prestbury is recorded as my place of birth on birth cert. and passport.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Born there in 1950. Parents lived in Clayton. Probably Dad didn't visit?? Looks good on my passport.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was born there in1952 dad used to cycle there from old trafford to see me an mum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Eldest Brother was born here in 1951 ,they lived in Wythenshawe Ashcott Ave then Woodhouse Lane ,saddlie he is no longer with us

    ReplyDelete
  13. My brother was born there in Jan 1947 when the worse snowfall took place. I’ve been trying to buy a copy of the book by Mary Roberts but it’s no longer in print anywhere.I’ve registered with several ‘rare book shops too’ but to no avail. If anyone has a copy or knows of a copy for sale , I’ll happily purchase it and take great care of it for my family history records. My only brother sadly passed away in 1979 but I’m slowly re building his life story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love a copy too! My family has a connection to Collar House. I will keep looking and if either of us find one perhaps we could inform the other. Waterstones have it on their books as unavailable currently. You probably know that!

      Delete
  14. Anne Blackburn (maiden name)13 July 2023 at 10:10

    I was born in a St Mary’s maternity hospital October 1945, Prestbury lane, I think that must be Collar House but there were two other houses used, Adlington Hall was one. How can we find out which house? Where are the records. Like others here my mates were thinking I’d made a mistake, too posh! My parents lived in Gorton at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a book on the history of Collar House written by Dr. Mary Roberts who was the daughter of the Matron of Collar House. The book was published by Mary herself in 2012 and some copies were available to buy at Collar House.

      Delete
  15. I was born in Prestbury Hall in 1948. So don’t know if this was the same place as Collar House.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was born there I April 1945

    ReplyDelete
  17. My twin and I were born there in 1948. Dad, who was originally from Hulme then Gorton when he joined the police, was told that the chances of the three of us surviving were remote. My twin ànd I are still here and Mum died in 2009, as did Dad. Manchester United won the F.A. Cup that day, so celebrations all round! We'll done, St. Mary's. We all survived!! Barbara Fleet (crafty-fox@hotmail.co.uk) & Christine Howard née Lee

    ReplyDelete