Sunday 5 March 2023

Poppies will be sold ……..

 I wonder just how many of these British Legion posters have survived the passage of almost a century.


Not many I guess will be the answer.


My old “posty” friend David Harrop has managed to come across one and in due deference to the etiquette of collecting such things I haven’t asked how much it cost.

If I have got this correctly it dates from 1925 and is the work of Maurice Kirth, but that so far is it.

A first search for Maurice Kirth, has revealed nothing but I shall persevere, and in the meantime, someone will come up with more on the artist and offer a bit more detail about the poster, and the commission from the British Legon.

Location; 1925

Picture; Wear a Flanders Poppy, courtesy of the Imperial War Museum, and from the collection of David Harrop

No comments:

Post a Comment