Sunday 12 March 2023

Gaze upon this scene …… and remember

This is the view from the Rec across to the former bowling green with the Irish Centre beyond, and it will soon be as archaic as all those old black and white pictures of street scenes from the early 20th century.

A view in 2023

Now many in the vicinity will have taken up positions on the development of “29 residential units” on what was the car park of the Irish Club.*

That view again, 2023
Despite the Transport Statement’s optimistic conclusions about parking issues, I wonder if there will be a problem, both because of the limited number of spaces available for the club and the likely possibility that some residents will have more than one car.

And while I concede the present view from the Rec is not the most endearing, I wonder if the dominance of a slab of a building will be any better.

But that is easy for me to say, given that I have lived across from the Rec for 47 years, and the demand for affordable homes in Chorlton rises every year, with prices which today I couldn’t afford and indeed nor could our children who were born here.

So, it is as ever a question of balance.

Instead, the historian in me reflects that we seldom get a chance to record what will soon be gone, often only waking up to the demise of a building or a view after the event.

And is it.

And because I can almost the view, 1979
Other than to say .... no I didn't put in an objection for the very reasons that I couldn't afford to buy on Beech Road in 2023, and it would be rank hypocrisy for me to deny others the opportunity, but it doesn't stop me wondering about the view, and the potential for a crocodile of parked cars on Cross Road and extending down Beech Road, if that is they can find a place at weekends.

Location The Rec

Pictures; the view from the Rec, 2023, and in 1979, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

*132708/FO/2022 | Erection of a part three, part four storey development to provide 29 (10 x one and 18 x two bed and 1 x studio) residential units with associated vehicular and cycle parking, refuse store and landscaping | Car Park To The Rear Of Chorlton Irish Club Cross Road Manchester M21 9DJ, Manchester City Council Planning Portal, https://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=R5V38UBCFKT00

1 comment: