Wednesday 22 March 2023

In the trenches with My Dug Out Dream and other pictures and stories

Now I wonder if my great uncle Roger read the book Oh Canada which was “a medley of stories, verse, pictures and music contributed by members of the Canadian Expeditionary Force.”

The Byng Boys, 1916-
He served with the C.E.F., from 1915 untill the duration.

On balance I think not, partly because of what I know about him and mainly I suspect because the book was meant for an audience living in Canada.

I can’t be sure until I have done some more research but I think it will be one of those patriotic productions aimed at keeping an interest in the war by featuring stories from men of C.E.F. who were on active service on the battle fronts.

And I expect there was a fund raising element, but all that will have to wait for more research.  At present the title “Oh Canada” has only thrown up references to Canada’s national anthem.

My Dug Out Dream
The book has just been acquired by my old friend David Harrop, and in time I hope to see the original.

It is a first edition and was published in 1916.

But for now I shall just leave you with some of the images he has taken from the book which looks to be a fascinating insight into Canada at war.

My favourites are My “Dug Out” Dream, from an original drawing by Captain R.G. Matthews, C.E.F., and  “The Byng Boys are here.”

“The Bing Boys Are Here, styled ‘A Picture of London Life, in a Prologue and Six Panels,’ is the first of a series of revues which played at the Alhambra Theatre, London during the last two years of World War I. 

The series included The Bing Boys on Broadway and The Bing Girls are There. 

The music for them was written by Nat D. Ayer with lyrics by Clifford Grey, who also contributed to Yes, Uncle!, and the text was by George Grossmith, Jr. and Fred Thompson based on Rip and Bousquet's Le Fils Touffe. 


Other material was contributed by Eustace Ponsonby, Philip Braham and Ivor Novello.

The Bing Boys Are Here opened in 1916 in the West End and ran for 378 performances. 

It was one of the three most important musical hits of the London stage during World War I”*


Location; Canada

Pictures; from Oh Canada, 1916, courtesy of David Harrop.



* The Bing Boys Are Here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bing_Boys_Are_Here

No comments:

Post a Comment