Monday 6 March 2023

What you find in your cellar …………

 Never throw anything away is by and large a lifestyle choice I have followed for my entire life.

It allows me to rediscover odd ephemera, which have lain for decades in “safe places”, so safe I had forgotten they were there.

And so, it is with the Newsletter of The British Postal Museum and Archive, from February 2014. 

Just why I had signed up for the publication is now lost in time, nor do I have other copies and this one has sat in the cellar for I guess nine years, along with a heap of books, and lots of photocopied sheets of newspapers, and archive material.

I had gone looking for my collection of school history textbooks, which proved elusive, but I turned up this solitary newsletter, and what a good read it was.

Included in the sixteen pages were articles about the Museum, lists of up-and-coming talks, stories from the history of the Post Office and dips into the archive.

So all in all a good find, but one which perhaps needs a new home, and so I will offer it up to my “posty” friend, David Harrop, whose collection of Postal History memorabilia must rank as one of the largest and interesting in the country.


And that is that other than to say the article by Emma Harper who was the curator back in 2014 on a truncheon issued to GPO staff in 1848, is a gem.

Location; our cellar

Pictures; Interior of Travelling Post Office, 1935, framed artwork for a poster. Artist Charlton, George, Post Office 109/375, and Mt Favourite Object, Emma, Harper, from Newsletter of The British Postal Museum and Archive, from February 2014

*The British Postal Museum and Archive, https://www.postalmuseum.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment