Friday 3 May 2019

Looking in on Salford

Now here are two buildings I never clocked until recently.  

We were parked up just over the bridge waiting, and beyond the rather nondescript car park and above the railway viaduct I was drawn to these buildings.

There will be someone who will be able to offer up detailed histories of each and in the case of the second may live there or know someone who does.

I still haven’t quite made my mind up about the block of flats, but on a sunny day they catch the eye.

But for me the Cook Street Brewery building drew me in and made me want to know more.

It was built in 1895 for the Chesters Brewery Company which was taken over by Threlfalls in 1961.

According to that excellent pub site Pubs of Manchester, the brewery stands on the site once occupied by the "Blue Lion pub previously called the White Lion and Apollo, [which] was demolished to make way for the brewery." *

The grade II listed Salford premises have now been redeveloped into the Deva Centre, an urban business village.

And that is all I want to say for now.

Location; Salford

Pictures; Salford, 2015, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

*Pubs of Manchester, Past and Present,  http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.co.uk/


No comments:

Post a Comment