Monday 6 May 2019

"were I went for my holidays last Easter"


This is the Palace Avenue Gardens in Paignton, and I have Ron to thank for sharing it with me.

The gardens are still there, although they look smaller than in the picture postcard, and today just beyond the figures on the right has been added a war memorial.

Otherwise the scene is little different.  The church is still there, although the grand houses on either side  have been converted into shops.

And over to the left is the Palace Theatre which is still going today.

The card is undated, but I suspect it may have been sent sometime after 1890 and before 1902, because the theatre was opened in 1890, and in 1902 the Post office gave permission for the messages to be written on the reverse of the card.

Prior to 1902, the back was reserved only for the name and address of the recipient with the message squeezed into the front.

Of course the card could have been old stock, and sent later, leaving me to await a message from someone who knows.

Location; Palace Avenue Gardens in Paignton,

Picture; Palace Avenue Gardens in Paignton, 1890-1902, from the collection of Ron Stubley



No comments:

Post a Comment