Friday 11 August 2023

A second hand shop, a skiffle group called the Rattlenakes, and the Bee Gees

It started as a story on the second hand shops of Chorlton, and along the way someone mentioned Chorlton Curios which was quite a coincidence because in the Lloyd Collection there is a photograph of the shop along with the three owners.

The picture was taken in October 1978, and I am a little puzzled as to how it got into the collection.

The notes on the back are less than helpful, running simply to “Former Bee-Gees L TO R Paul Frost, Mrs Frost Kenny Horrocks Former Bee Gees”.

I remember the shop and we do have two coloured glass lamp shades which I think date from the 1930s and could have been bought from the place.

A little research turned up, that Mr Frost and Mr Horrocks played in the Rattlesnakes which lasted from 1957 into 1958.  

Paul Frost is listed as vocals and drums, Kenny Horrocks, vocals and tea-chest bass, and the line up was completed by Barry Alan Crompton Gibb, Robin Hugh Gibb and Maurice Ernest Gibb who respectively were vocals, acoustic guitar, and vocals, toy guitar.*

Now I wasn’t expecting that, and I rather think there will be lots more.

All of which just leaves me with how the picture got into the collection, and here I have a vague memory of my old and dear friend Allan Brown telling me that John Lloyd one of our local historians wrote articles for the Journal and on occasion borrowed pictures from the news desk.

If so it was one that was never returned, but that is a story for another day.

I have to confess to being a cautious chap, and so until I find Mr and Mrs Frost and Mr Horrocks to ask permission to show the picture, you dear reader, just get the shop front. 

Location; Chorlton

Picture; Chorlton Curios, October 1978, from the Lloyd Collection.

*The Bee Gees Family Tree, The British Sound, July 13 2011http://thebritishsound.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/bee-gees-family-tree.html

12 comments:

  1. I know Kenny Horrocks, he's still around. I'll mention that photograph when I next see him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Peter will be happy to share it with him if he has lost his copy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I caught up with Kenny Horrocks and he certainly remembers the photograph being taken by a local newspaper (not sure which one?). Mrs Frost was the owner of 'Chorlton Curios' and mother of Paul, sadly both are now deceased. Kenny gives his permission to publish the picture and would like a copy himself as he doesn't know what happened to his original photo. Andrew, if you can put it on the blog (even for one day) I will download it and print it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently caught up with Kenny Horrocks and he certainly gives his permission to publish the picture.
    He remembers the photo being taken by a local newspaper.
    Mrs Frost was then the owner of 'Chorlton Curios' and mother of Paul. Sadly both are now deceased.
    Kenny Horrocks and Barry Gibb are now the only surviving ex-members of The Rattlesnakes who later went on to become The Bee Gees

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was talking to Kenny Horrocks recently. He lived opposite the Gibb brothers on Keppel road. He's very reluctant in his nature and publicly shy, makes a refreshieng change in world if social media.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was talking to Kenny Horrocks recently, he lived opposite the Gibb brothers on Keppel road. He's very reluctant in his ways and doesn't like publicly, which makes a refreshing change in a world of social media.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to repeat myself !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a coincidence.! I was talking to Kenny Horrocks a couple of days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forget to add. He's 'Staying Alive'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please show the picture, then I can go and show it to Kenny in the pub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me your email and I will dig out the full picture ..... your email address won't be posted just give me a few days and remind me if I haven't done it by Wednesday

      Delete
  11. I'm Pauls Aunty I would really also like to get in touch with Kenny , Thanks

    ReplyDelete