Thursday 22 December 2022

Chicken bryani in the Plaza on Upper Brook Street on Saturdays in the 70s

For those who were born around the mid 20th century who queued to see the film Spartacus, remembered with profound sadness the death of Ottis Reading and raged at the Vietnam War it is more than likely that if you were in Manchester during the late 60s into the 80s you will have eaten at the Plaza on Upper Brook Street.

I had almost forgotten my beery nights out which always seemed to end at the Plaza until a post about breakfast on my friend’s Lois’s blog brought it all back.*

I have yet to meet anyone who ate there who does not have fond memories of the place, and has their own story. Mine are many.

 I remember the night of the Milk Snatcher’s Ball at UMIST** when we fell into the cafe with our baby doll nightdresses which we had borrowed from two flatmates securely hidden under our jeans and tee shirt or the night of the vivid conversation between a man with a broken hand and his girl friend about the relative merits of an A &E unit in down town Berlin.

I am sure there were many things on the menu but I can only ever remember eating the chicken or meat bryani, half of which cost 3/6d in 1970 and was more than enough for two.

The chicken arrived on a pile of yellow rice and raw onion with a small pot of the curry sauce and after vast quantities of cheap student union beer it went down well.

Now our friend Mike had never taken to curry and so at 3 in the morning on Upper Brook Street he would ask for a roast dinner which he got, with everything including the roast potatoes, chicken, gravy and just possibly Yorkshire puddings too. It was as my friend Lois said that "everything was possible at the Plaza."

Sometime around 1972 I stopped going. I suppose it was a mix of things really. My girlfriend of the time wasn’t over keen and by the end of that year we were living off Grey Mare Lane and soon after that out in Ashton, which meant that Upper Brook Street was a serious trek.

I suspect we were also playing at being grown up and grownups eat sensibly at places like the Bella Napoli off Albert Square and on Sundays in China Town. Looking back it was my loss.

And then it had gone. When exactly I don’t know, although I have friends who still went there in the early 80s for Sunday dinner.

Now I know that with age comes a rosy nostalgia about the past, and no doubt my sons can talk of their own food dives and late night experiences but for my generation the Plaza was special, even if it was hard to remember much of the night the following day.

Picture by kh1234567890 posted on flicker photostream

*http://loiselsden.wordpress.com/2012/04/14/breakfast/

**My friend Marc always referred to it as the Tech but he went there while I and my friends Jack, Greevz, Mike, Lois and John slummed it across the road at the Poly which we always called the College of Commerce which had been its pre amalgamation name. There were other things we called it of which the College of Knowledge was one, but mercifully never Colcom which really put you out with the nerds in the dustbins.

30 comments:

  1. Fondly known to us as Youseff's, and run by Charlie, a large and magnanimous Somali man. We always had chicken biriyani and curry sauce in various heats - mild, medium, hot, killer and suicide. Only ever tried the ultimate once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was also Charlie's Special in the early 80s

      Delete
  2. Very brave David and Margaret l only ever went for medium ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes remember it well. Always chicken bryani. Have a picture of the famous/fabulous Charlie from when I took my photography night class there, insisting everyone had to experience the Plaza at leat once. We went went many times after the conti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see that picture.

      Delete
    2. would love to see that picture, Charlie was a great fella, always massive smile on his face..

      Delete
  4. Yes! Would love to see the photo of Charlie although I feel I can see him very clearly in my memory from 1976/77. We also went to the Palace in Rusholme on Gt Western St which was like a copy of the Plaza but to my shame I don't recall the name of the patron there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to remember that the rice n chicken was always cold but the sauce was volcanic, mostly opted for the medium unless comfortably numb, then a suicide was ordered!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3.00am, go for a plaza after legends nightclub every wednesday. Remember Charlie, even remember him being stabbed in the arm breaking up a knife fight among bunch of bikers (while my friends and I hid under a table). I once had a hot sauce with my biryani and that hurt; my field once ate a "Charlie Special", hotter than a suicide - very brave (and drunk) man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friend, tucking into a suicide: "This is OK! What's in it?"
    Plaza chef: "I don't know, but I wouldn't f*cking touch it!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, all the above comments ring true.. We also went after Jillys and other rock venues.. Excellent place.... Sadly missed...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Remembered with great fondness. The plumbing in the gents was a sight of make do and mend, Formica table tops and plastic pint pots for the water you had to drink with the chicken biriani

    ReplyDelete
  10. The iconic Plaza, 2am destination of choice after a night drinking cheap beer and watching the band at the Union, or rocking out at Jilly's. A pile of saffron rice with meat of indeterminate origin, accompanied by sauce that got hotter and hotter the later you went, and a pint of water to wash it down with. Even the "medium" was very hot, and the "suicide" was accurately described!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always ordered mild and Charlie called it English custard. Do you remember his daughter who also worked there? No fonder memories of any restaurant. I went there with my brother and sister one Christmas Eve .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to ‘upgrade’ to chicken omelette half chips/half rice curry gravy when I wanted to splash out. A culinary masterpiece. Also I remember Bashir…is that Charlie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dimitri you always walked the culinary heights ..... yes I vaguely remember Charlie.

      Delete
    2. Many fond memories of Charlie's after a night out in town. Even went into town from sale late on a few times if there was someone sober enough to drive. Only ever stuck to the basic medium and hot never the premium Killer, Suicide etc.

      Delete
  13. I first of the Plaza when I was a student in Stoke in the seventies. Eventually started visiting when working in Manchester in the Eighties. Even managed to claim my curry on expenses when working late at Norweb on Hathersage Road. That must have been 84 or 85.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From reading other blogs about the plaza, it’s been said Charlie’s daughter has or had a cafe somewhere. I think it was north manchester and mainly Caribbean, not 100% on Caribbean bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farida Anderson is my cousin, and the place she owns with her husband is Buzzrocks in Hulme.

      Delete
  15. Both my Husband and myself and friends remember The Plaza with happy hazy nostalgia the mixed Grill was immense too it came on two plates ! Bella Napoli was a fab place too. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm recall some graffitin the toilet, 'if the bottom has fallen out of your world eat a plaza biryani and have the world fall out of your bottom'!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Used to go there every Friday night after the Art College …..I used to have a hairdressing salon in Sale and Charlie’s’ wife used get her hair done by me ……we even screen printed TeeShirts for the Plaza …Charlie loved them … Chicken Byriani …the best and cost something like 25 pence ….suicide sauce ..lol potatoes and cabbage for the non curry palette …great times indeed early seventies !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great memories it's the first place my husband took me for a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many an epic night ended at who knows what time of the a.m. at the Plaza, falling face first in the half biryani (Art College 69-70). Seem to recall the curry sauce having a purplish tinge…or was that all the acid we used to drop😁?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was at Manchester from 1971-74 and the Plaza was a favourite haunt - and, yes, always for the Chicken Biriyani. Sadly I’ve never found anywhere else serving a biriyani anything like it. I don’t know whether it was because the business changed hands but I remember several changes of policy over how customers were billed: sometimes you’d be asked to pay when you ordered, sometimes you’d get the bill when you’d finished. On one occasion, after such a policy switch, I’d gone halfway down the road when my girlfriend observed that she didn’t think we’d paid. We went back and I called over the waiter and said ‘I don’t think we paid’. ‘You didn’t’ sir‘, he told me, ‘but I didn’t want to say anything.’ Apparently he hadn’t wanted to embarrass me in front of my girlfriend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Around 1979-82 I had a couple of friends who went to Uni in Manchester and I used to travel down from Newcastle for a weekend out. It was often a night at The Swinging Sporran and then to The Plaza for something to eat, usually around 3am. We just knew it as Charlie's and it introduced me to the idea of a curry that was Mild, Hot, Killer or Suicide. At that time in the morning and after a skinfull I couldn't tell the difference. Charlie was a true friend to the student population as I remember . . . never experienced anything like it since.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes.Great memories,great times.This was a proper cafe.Water in plastic jug and glasses ,rice on plate topped with sliced fried chicken and jug of quite thin curry sauce bursting with hot flavour.Waiter/chef in white grease stained lab coat decanting rice from large steel bin like a ww2 battlefield canteen.Full of characters from all walks of life.Great place.
    Aitrt

    ReplyDelete
  23. Charlie opened another cafe serving identical cuisine on Wilmslow Rd in Rushholme,on curry mile.Had both for some time.Can’t remember dates but both closed sometime in 80s I’d think.

    ReplyDelete